Friday, December 14, 2012

Thank You Selena!

When I was waiting to get on my flight tonight there was the cutest little girl with a surgical mask waiting to board the plane. She was just about my daughters age (8) and full of energy. I overheard her mom talking, and this little girl was just coming back from St. Jude after getting her final radiation treatment of the year. Final, not because the cancer was cured and she could go home and live her life, but final because her frail body could not take another treatment for another few months. The doctors told them to go home and hope it does not progress. The mother wanted someone to talk to, so me and some others obliged so that she could tell us what a spectacular daughter she had, and what great people there were at St Jude.

As she talked about it she cried, and Selena came over to comfort her mother. She gave her mother a big hug and told her to be happy because at least they will get to sleep in their own bed tonight. Selena knew what was going on...she has been living this life for a while. Rather than wallow in her self pity she looked at the bright side...which for her was that she got to go home and sleep in her own bed.

It kind of put me in my place a bit. I can't begin to imagine what Selena and her mom are going through. Whatever I am dealing with, it is not terminal. I am not a child having to give up recess for chemo.

So...Thank You Selena for putting me in my place. Tonight, instead of praying about me non-stop, I will say a prayer for you and your mom. Not just a prayer of healing, but a prayer of thanks and humility for the lesson that you have helped me to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment